The Rush University Medical Center’s Section of Gastroenterology and Nutrition is currently seeking volunteers for two separate studies related to celiac disease. If you live in Chicago, you could volunteer for these trials and make a difference for future people diagnosed with celiac disease.
The first clinical trial, run by Dr. Sunana Sohi, is Celiac Disease and Mind/ Body Medicine. According to the Center:
The purpose of this study is to determine whether participation in one of two mind/body courses has an impact on adherence to a gluten-free diet in patients with celiac disease.
You are eligible for this trial if:
- Have received a diagnosis of celiac disease in the past four weeks or within two weeks of starting a gluten-free diet
- Are over 18 years of age
- Have not previously attempted a gluten-free diet
For more information or to sign up, call (312) 942-1559 and ask to speak with Dr. Suhail Salem.
The second trial, Economic Impact of Celiac Disease, is run by Dr. Ece Mutlu. According to the Center:
The purpose of this study is to find out more information about the total costs of celiac disease, also known as celiac sprue or gluten enteropathy… We are inviting people with celiac disease and people without celiac disease to participate in this research study. This project will last for approximately four weeks. If you agree to participate, you will need to come to the hospital once. The study will require you to fill out a questionnaire and keep a food diary and collect receipts for food items that you purchased and ate over a period of four weeks.
To participate in this trial, you must:
- Be a single patient buying groceries only for yourself or are willing to separate out food bills from others living in the same household
- Have no symptoms frequently associated with celiac disease such as diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas or bloating, weight loss, constipation or any other gastrointestinal symptoms
- Have no medical history of celiac disease-associated disorders such as type 1 diabetes mellitus, Down syndrome or autoimmune thyroid disease
- Have no past medical history that includes a disease needing a specific diet such as diabetes, end-stage renal disease or congestive heart failure
For more information or to sign up, contact GI Clinical Trials at (312) 942-3466.