If you’re attending a party where you know the host well, it should be fairly simple for you to find out if anything they are serving is safe for you to eat. If you don’t know them well, you might be more comfortable eating a little something before the party and taking several gluten-free things to nosh on during the evening. Keep in mind that celebrating with good friends should be the focus of the evening. As long as you bring great food for yourself, you won’t miss eating what other guests are enjoying.
New Years Eve party food tends to be heavy on the appetizers but many of them are likely to contain gluten. Take some tasty apps of your own and share them if you like. If you do take a dish to share, consider separating some of your own treats from the main serving dish so that no gluten serving utensils can contaminate your otherwise safe food. It’s unfortunate that a misplaced spoon can actually ruin the night for party guests with food intolerances.
Below is my favorite simple appetizer recipe to take to parties. One of the best things about it is that you can buy all the ingredients in a regular grocery store. It’s super easy to make and people always ask for the recipe – whether they eat gluten or not!
Cheesy Corn Dip
- 2 cans Del Monte Mexi-Corn (drained)
- 2 cups Mexican style shredded cheese (reserve 1 cup for topping)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Chopped jalapenos (to taste) *I use about 2 tablespoons
- Mix all ingredients well – except 1 cup of Mexican style cheese.
- Put mixture into a lightly greased baking dish.
- Top with e reserved cheese.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve with Fritos Scoops corn chips and/or celery sticks.
Here are some other great gluten-free recipes from the gluten-free blogosphere, including one for vegan, gluten-free eggnog!
- Teri over at About.com has a great round up of gluten-free appetizer recipes and over 25 cold weather drink recipes!
- Catherine’s collection of appetizer recipes is impressive as well. Her Dark Chocolate Almond Bark recipe looks delicious and easy to make!
- Last but not least, Elana has come up with a recipe for gluten-free, vegan eggnog!
Enjoy New Years Eve whether you stay in or go out. And remember to enjoy some great gluten-free food no matter where you celebrate!
Special thanks to my friend Melisa for this amazing recipe that everyone loves!