Trouble finding gluten free soup? When someone first starts the gluten-free diet, something that usually surprises them is the fact that most mainstream soups contain gluten in the form of wheat. At one time Campbell’s said about five of their soups were gluten-free, but these days they won’t confirm the few that are made without gluten ingredients are gluten-free, due to the way they are made. Some Swanson broths (made by Campbell’s) are gluten-free. If you would like to see some gluten-free soups offered by Campbell’s, consider calling the company to let them know. The toll free number is 1-800-257-8443. You can also contact them via their website here.
Up until recently, many Progresso soups also contained gluten, thought that seems to be changing since the company introduced their new Live Gluten Freely website a while back. The growing list of gluten-free soups is now up to 14. The Chicken with Rice and Vegetables is wonderful and the delicious Chicken Cheese Enchilada soup is very versatile. The Creamy Mushroom soup from Progresso has been gluten-free for a long time and now it’s finally labeled as such.
Here are some of the product lines that make gluten-free soup. Some are labeled as such and some are not. As always, people need to choose the products that they feel comfortable consuming. I’ve had gluten-free offerings from all the lines and am thrilled to have so many soup options these days.
- Amy’s Kitchen – gluten-free options are labeled as such.
- Bear Creek – manufacturer does not label gluten-free options but at last check.
- Fantastic World Foods – some soup cups from this line are labeled gluten-free.
- Frontier Soups – gluten-free options are labeled as such
- Imagine – gluten-free options are labeled as such; over 20 gluten-free soups/broths available from this line.
- Kettle Cuisine – ALL 10 soups in the line are gluten-free; some are also dairy-free.
- Pacific Natural Foods – gluten-free options are labeled as such; over 30 gluten-free soups/broths available from this line.
- Progresso – gluten-free options are labeled as such.
- Thai Kitchen – gluten-free options are labeled as such; company makes instant rice noodle soup mixes and many are also dairy-free.
Fantastic World Foods makes soup cups which are great for travel, though there are only a few that are gluten-free. The Potato Leek soup cup is pretty good and all you need is a microwave, water and a spoon to have hot soup in about five minutes. The Kettle Cuisine soups are in the freezer and take 4-6 minutes to cook in the microwave. The Chicken Chili is my favorite from that line. The gluten-free soups and broths from Progresso are clearly labeled now and there is no added MSG in the products either.
For the more ambitious people out there who like to make their own home made soups, here are a few interesting soup recipes we found in the gluten-free blogosphere:
- Roasted Vegetable Chowder recipe from “Gluten-Free Goddess“
- Chicken and Wild Rice soup recipe from “gluten free Mommy“
- Creamy Potato Soup recipe from “Jen’s Gluten Free“
- Cream of Broccoli soup recipe from the “Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen“
- Condensed Mushroom Soup recipe from “Adventures of a Gluten-free Mom“
Even though we enjoyed temperatures of over 60 degrees last weekend, the cold weather has returned and it’s likely we have a good month (or more) before soup season is over here. While soup can be enjoyed all year long, when it’s 95 in Hotlanta with 80% humidity – and it’s not raining – the last thing I’m interested in eating is piping hot soup.
UPDATE: Thanks to Brook for sending us this information about Health Valley Soups. It appears the manufacturer no longer states some of their soups are gluten-free. Therefore I have removed them for the safe soup list above. It sure would be nice if we had a gluten-free labeling law in this country! Alert from Clan Thompson’s website: http://www.celiacsite.com/res_news_alerts.php3
There are almost 30 companies that make gluten-free soup, soup mixes and stews listed in the Triumph Dining Gluten-Free Grocery Guide. Let us know if your favorite soup isn’t listed above.