Nothing says Thanksgiving quite like the ripe orange of a pumpkin! Truly, this gourd represents the season. And, loaded with the antioxidant beta-carotene, pumpkins are quite the superfood…not to mention naturally gluten-free. Here’s a round-up of some seasonal gluten-free pumpkin recipes, just in case you’re still not sure what you’re going to do with all that yummy orange goop:
- Pumpkin bread: Blogger Tiffany worked hard to convert her family-favorite recipe into delicious gluten-free pumpkin bread. The bread uses applesauce for moisture and is flavored with autumnal spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and clove.
- Pumpkin pie: The ultimate holiday dessert, pumpkin pie just tastes like autumn! Teri from Gluten-Free Cooking on About.com has this recipe for gluten-free pumpkin pie, including directions for making a GF pie crust.
- Pumpkin soup: Pumpkin soup is hearty and heart-warming on a crisp fall evening. This recipe from Allrecipes is gluten-free; just use the Grocery Guide to be sure to buy gluten-free chicken stock and whipping cream.
- Pumpkin muffins: Check out this recipe from Gluten-Free Bay for a tasty-sounding gluten-free pumpkin muffin recipe.
- Toasted pipita: Toasted pumpkin seeds are an easy-to-make and healthy snack. Simply rinse the seeds free of any lingering gourd innards, boil them in salted water for about 20 minutes, then toss in butter and bake at 300° for 30-40 minutes until roasted to desired doneness.
Also, for pumpkin flavor with a twist, try this Gluten-Free Pumpkin Brownie Mix from Mixes From the Heartland. Or try these vegan, gluten-free Pumpkin Spice Cookies from the Sun Flour Baking Company or these gluten-free Pumpkin Spice Walnut Cookies from A Bountiful Harvest.
What are your favorite gluten-free pumpkin recipes in the fall? Please share!