When I think “indulgence,” I immediately think of donuts. Fried and sugary, they have absolutely no nutritional value, but they taste oh-so-good in my mouth. However, it can be tricky to adapt donuts to be gluten-free. Cakey gluten-free donuts are not too hard to make, but without refined wheat flour and the gluten protein, it is much more difficult to get that airy, melting Krispy Kreme donut texture. But the web abounds with recipes to make gluten-free versions of these sweet treats, so I’ve rounded up some of the best of them to share.
• Just take one look at the photo from this recipe for gluten-free apple cider donuts from Domestifluff and you’ll mouth will water, guaranteed. The recipe makes moist cakey apple-flavored donuts coated with cinnamon sugar.
• If you’re looking to make a glazed donut, check out this recipe for gluten-free glazed donuts from Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom. The recipe is complex but she has photographs of each step in her baking which makes the directions very easy to follow.
• To make gluten-free buttermilk donuts, try this recipe by What’s Cooking on Food.com.
• If you’d like to try your hand at making beignets, a square sugar-dusted type of donut from New Orleans, Terri Gruss from About.com has a pretty simple recipe for gluten-free beignets.
• You can also make gluten-free sufganiyot, a traditional Jewish jelly or custard-filled doughnut, with this recipe for gluten-free sufganiyot jelly donuts from Gluten Free Bay.
• And if you’re craving some crullers (French twisted donuts), check out this recipe for making beautiful and fancy gluten-free crullers from Art of Gluten Free Baking.
If you don’t want to take the time to make your own gluten-free donuts, Kinnikinnick sells gluten-free donuts in a variety of flavors including Cinnamon Sugar, Chocolate Dipped, Vanilla Glazed and Maple Glazed. Blogger Jessica reviewed Kinnikinnick’s gluten-free donuts and was impressed the donuts’ moist and cakey texture.
Ener-G also sells gluten-free donuts, offering Plain Donuts, Plain Donut Holes, and seasonal Chocolate Iced Donuts. The Plain Donuts are ready-made for dunking in coffee or they can be easily topped with your favorite glaze, sugar mix, or chocolate coating.
How do you get your gluten-free donut fix?