If you’ve been reading this blog for at least the past year, you a) deserve a gold star and b) know that I am not a big fan of the ol’ Valentine’s Day.
In fact, the thing I like best about the day is that it’s helpful for remembering some fairly unimportant math factoids: The square root of two is 1.4, so if you squint you’ll see 2/14 there. Fun extra-math fact: the square root of 3 is 1.7 — hello, St. Pat’s Day!
Um, did I mention that I used to tutor SATs? Yup. Cool-kid blogger, right here.
If you’re more Valentine’s-inclined than I am, you might be in the throes of menu-planning or candy-shopping right now. For you, then, I offer the following resources, helpfully poached from more loving bloggers than I.
- Jane Anderson at About.com has gone to the trouble of creating not one, not two, but four gluten-free Valentine’s Day menus to suit every need.
- She’s also gone ahead and research an up-to-date list of gluten-free Valentine’s Day candy. By and large, this list agrees with a 2011 list from Celiac Family — but there are some updates so be sure to take a gander, as companies can (and do!) change their policies without necessarily making a big announcement.
- Gluten-free Canteen has a recipe for Vanilla Raspberry Cupcakes that sound extra-tasty because of the adorable story and photos that it comes with.
- Also from About.com, these homemade Conversation Hearts would be a fun project for the kids. Or an X-rated project for the grown-ups. Hey, I don’t judge; all’s fair on Square Root of Two Day.
- I’m going to repeat myself from last year, because I did have one very excellent piece of advice then:
Valentine’s Day is a stressful one for restaurants. If you’ve picked out a spot – for example by perusing our gluten-free restaurant guide – do yourselves a favor and make sure you explain your needs when you make your reservation. There’s nothing less romantic than going hungry (except maybe going through all the GI fun of an accidental glutening).
- And, of course, there are also lots of local bakeries that make gluten-free treats. I don’t know where you live, but I bet there’s one not too far away. What better opportunity to treat yourself — and show support for local business—than this one?
What’s your favorite gluten-free
Valentine’s Square Root of Two Day treat?