By Bridget (with the help of Liberty Morris)
It can sometimes seem that gluten is lurking in every food. From soy sauce to lime flavored tortilla chips, it’s hard to always be sure what constitutes a “safe” food. Sadly, Celiac’s have to be watchful of the mints and gums they reach for, as many of them contain malodextrin, a sugar enzymatically derived from starch, often from wheat. Apart from the gluten contents, most gums are wrought with artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame, which are potentially carcinogenic, or sugars that can lead to painful tooth-decay.
Fortunately for gluten-free gum lovers, Glee Gum is a flavor-filled chewing gum that is additive-free, lactose-free, and, most importantly, gluten-free! The gum is all-natural, meaning that there is minimal processing, no chemical pesticides or food additives, and free of artificial sugar substitutes! The gum offers tons of different flavors, from cinnamon and peppermint to bubble gum (which tastes like bazooka bubble gum!) and sugar-free lemon-lime! The gum is made with ingredients including cane sugar, rice syrup, and chicle, a naturally harvested material that gives gum its chewy texture, rather than synthetic materials that can contain gluten!
What makes this gum even more appealing is that it is 100% kid approved (which, as all gluten-free eaters know, that’s hard to come by!). Ten year old Liberty Morris, a best-selling children’s book author (Paris Goes to San Francisco), tried a variety of Glee Gum’s flavors and gave the stamp of satisfaction, celebrating the lemon-lime sugar-free Glee Gum as one of her favorites. Liberty was amazed by the mixture of the lemon and lime and said that the gum was “indescribably good”.
If you’ve been avoiding gum for fear of the gluten content, here are some reasons to chew on that might make you want to try out Glee Gum:
- Chewing gum while peeling and cutting onions can actually help you from tearing up
- Studies have found that when people chew gum they have an easier time concentrating, reducing muscle tension and increasing alertness!
- Chewing sugar-free gum burns about 11 calories an hour.
- To keep your ears from popping on an airplane, chew gum to stimulate your salivary glands (you’ll produce 250% more saliva!), causing you to swallow more and reducing pressure in your head.
- Researchers have found that chewing gum after you eat may help prevent heartburn!