By Laura (The Gluten-Free Traveller)
Applegate Farms produce a variety of organic and natural meats, a large selection of which are gluten-free.
As well as being gluten-free, they are also free from artificial ingredients or preservatives, free from antibiotics or hormones and free from chemical nitrites, nitrates or phosphates. They were kind enough to let Triumph sample a few of their delicious products.
I’m a big fan of Applegate and here’s why -
- LOTS of their products are gluten-free and safe for celiacs and gluten intolerant folks to eat.
- Their products don’t contain any strange additives, chemicals or other dodgy ingredients.
- Their deli meats are some of the best deli meats I’ve ever eaten.
- Their deli meats are great for nibbling just as they are or as part of a meal.
- Their bacon tastes great fried up with egg and potatoes for weekend brunch.
- I hadn’t eaten chicken nuggets since my celiac diagnosis three years ago until I found Applegate.
- Their hot dogs are really tasty with black beans and sweet potato fries.
- They make gluten-free corn dogs! I’m not really even a fan of corn dogs but I still love the fact that they are available.
- Their gluten-free products adhere to the proposed FDA standards of what ‘gluten-free’ should mean.
All Applegate products are gluten-free, with the exception of those made with traditional breading, such as their chicken nuggets, strips, tenders, patties and pot pie. They do however have gluten-free chicken nuggets and chicken breast tenders!
I was very happy to hear that every batch of their gluten-free chicken nuggets is tested and verified to ensure they are below 20ppm, the FDA proposed acceptable level of gluten. In addition to testing gluten-free products are made in accordance with non-allergenic manufacturing procedures. They are always produced on the first run of the day so that the risk of contamination is further reduced, in addition to testing.