The warm wafting aroma of fresh bread baking is one of the most comforting scents in the world. Breadmaking can be an exacting and time-consuming process and gluten-free breadmaking is especially so because of the lack of the gluten protein to give the bread bind and elasticity. I have several times experienced opening my bread machine in anticipation, only to find a lump of dense undercooked gluten-free bread. While a bread machine with a gluten-free specific cycle makes the work of gluten-free breadmaking much easier, pre-bought gluten-free bread mixes make the task even less daunting. There is a huge selection of gluten-free bread mixes out there, so we’ve collected a few of the major brands for your benefit.
• Bob’s Red Mill: Bob’s makes a variety of gluten-free bread mixes including GF Hearty Whole Grain Bread Mix, a GF Cinnamon Raisin Bread Mix, and GF Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix which can be made in a bread machine or by hand.
• Chebe: Chebe makes a standard All-Purpose Bread Mix and Original Bread Mix as well as a Focaccia Bread Mix among other gluten free bread mixes.
• Gluten-Free Pantry: Gluten-Free Pantry makes a Favorite Sandwich Bread Mix and a French Bread & Pizza Mix.
• Hodgson Mill: Hodgson Mill offers a basic Gluten-Free Bread Mix made with whole grain brown rice.
• Breads From Anna: Breads From Anna sells a wide selection of gluten-free bread mixes including a standard Bread Mix, a Pumpkin Bread Mix, an Herb Bread Mix, and a Banana Bread Mix. Breads From Anna also sells a gluten-free bread mix that is yeast free as well as a gluten-free bread mix that is free of soy, nut, corn, dairy and rice for those with allergy restrictions.
• King Arthur: King Arthur makes a reliable Gluten-Free Bread Mix that yields sliceable sandwich bread.
• Orgran: Orgran makes a gluten-free Easy Bake Bread Mix for use in breadmachines.
• Pamela’s Products: Pamela’s makes a basic Gluten-Free Bread Mix that can be make in a breadmaker or by hand.
• Schar: Schar makes a gluten-free Classic White Bread Mix that is also lactose free.
• Kinnikinnick: Kinnikinnick makes several gluten-free bread mixes including Kinni-Kwick Bread & Bun Mix, Kinni-Kwick Sunflower Flax Bread & Bun Mix, Tapioca Rice Bread Mix, and Candadi Yeast Free Rice Bread Mix.
• Namaste Foods: Namaste Foods makes a simple Gluten Free Bread Mix that is also free of casein, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, corn, potato, and soy.
Which is your favorite gluten-free bread mix brand? Please share!