We’re loving on these gluten-free, dairy-free, low glycemic index biscotti right now. Pastry Chef Lauren Hoover-West developed these in response to her food allergies and we’re glad she did. Like so many others with dietary restrictions, she grew tired of going for coffee with friends and not being able to find a cookie or dessert to go with her hot beverage.
Lauren’s Double Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon Raisin and Cardamom cookies hold up well as dunkers in your favorite beverage. These Biscotti are great for lunches or popping in your purse to eat on the run. They contain:
- Gluten-free Oat Flour is high in protein and fiber, and lowers cholesterol. Other flours are very high in carbohydrates which make you gain weight and spike blood sugar.
- Coconut Palm Sugar has a glycemic Index of 25 which means that is will not spike your blood sugar or give you sugar blues like refined sugar. It’s the sap from the blossoms of the Coconut Palm Tree and is sustainably harvested. Then, it’s heated to crystallize it without any chemicals.
Chef Lauren also offers gluten-free cooking classes in Santa Cruz, California. Her biscotti can be ordered using Buy link on her website or at these California locations, among others:
- Bi-Rite Market, San Francisco
- Los Gatos Coffee Roasting Company, Los Gatos
- Gluten-free Gourmet, Campbell
- Vienna Woods Deli 14567 Big Basin, Saratoga
- Staff of Life, Santa Cruz
- Nature’s Health Food Store and Cafe Ramon, Palm Springs