David Lebovitz, one of our favorite food bloggers, came up with this foolproof, gluten-free dessert. He calls it Chocolate Idiot Cake, since any idiot could make it…and only an idiot could screw it up. We offer this recipe now because you’re going to need something to offset all that fruit people bring to all of those early summer celebrations – Memorial Day picnics, graduation parties, end-of-year school year sporting events.
Chocolate Idiot Cake
One 9-inch (23 cm) cake
Adapted from Ready for Dessert (Ten Speed Press)
This cake is extremely rich, and tastes like the most delicious, silkiest, most supremely-chocolate ganache you’ve ever had. Use good chocolate —you’ll appreciate it when you taste your first melt-in-your-mouth bite.
· 10 ounces (290 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
· 7 ounces (200 g) butter, salted or unsalted, cut into pieces
· 5 large eggs, at room temperature
· 1 cup (200 g) sugar
Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
1. Butter a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan and dust it with cocoa powder, tapping out any excess. If you suspect your springform pan isn’t 100% water-tight, wrap the outside with aluminum foil, making sure it goes all the way up to the outer rim.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or microwave), stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar, then whisk in the melted chocolate mixture until smooth.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and cover the top of the pan snugly with a sheet of foil. Put the springform pan into a larger baking pan, such as a roasting pan, and add enough hot water to the baking pan to come about halfway up to the outside of the cake pan.
Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
You’ll know the cake is done when it feels just set, like quivering chocolate pudding. If you gently touch the center, your finger should come away clean.
5. Lift the cake pan from the water bath and remove the foil. Let cake cool completely on a cooling rack.
Serve thin wedges of this very rich cake at room temperature, with creme anglaise, ice cream, or whipped cream.
Storage: This Chocolate Idiot Cake can be wrapped and chilled in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.