This has to be a celiacs worst nightmare and unfortunately it was a reality for 38 year old Kristy Richardson, from Portsmouth in the UK. Kristy was eating at one of Jamie Oliver’s Italian Restaurants where she told three staff members she required a gluten-free pasta dish and was assured this could be provided. Instead, she was given ordinary, wheat pasta and became violently sick for hours after eating the meal.
A legal battle followed the incident with the restaurant chain pleading guilty to selling food not of the nature, substance or quality demanded by a purchaser, a breach of the Food Safety Act. The lawyer acting for Jamie’s chain said that staff thought she had ordered a vegetarian, rather than a gluten-free and vegetarian option?!?
The chain’s lawyer said “Jamie’s Italian sincerely apologizes that it has fallen short of its food safety obligations…It takes this extremely seriously. It is a matter of very sincere regret to the company that any customer should suffer illness as a result of any meal served by us.” Click to continue reading »