I love zucchini brushed with olive oil and grilled. It’s easy, simple, fast and tastes great. But when I’m in the mood for something a little different there’s a cold zucchini soup I turn to. It tastes like summer and since it’s served cold, it’s a nice dinner option for a hot day. I serve it with tortilla chips and my kids tend to treat it as more of a dip than a soup.
It’s easy to make so feel free to play around with seasonings. It’s good with basil or dill. There are also recipes that add curry, cilantro or cayenne. You can cut down on the calories by using low fat cream cheese or sour cream. Cutting back on the amount of those makes for a less creamy soup but still tastes great and also saves on the calories. Feel free to make it your own.
- 4 medium zucchini (I used a huge one from my garden and also threw in a small yellow squash)
- 1 onion
- Chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 16 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. sour cream
1) Chop the zucchini and onion into large chunks and place into a pot. Pour in enough chicken
broth to cover. Cook down until zucchini and onion is soft.
2) Blend all ingredients together with a food processor, blender or immersion blender.
3) Let cool a bit and blend then blend in cream cheese and sour cream.
4) Chill until cold and serve with corn chips and your favorite garnish.
Happy summer! Enjoy.