It was another long weekend at a dance competition. Tired of hotel food, I punched up Yelp on my iPhone and searched for a farmers’ market near this particular convention center. This led me to the Flour Chylde Bakery stand in downtown Sunnyvale, California. Here’s a link to their farmers’ market locations.
Honestly, if you didn’t know that their baked goods were gluten-free, you’d never think it.
Flour Chylde Bakery began in 2002 with one torte sold at local farmers’ markets. Since then they’ve been baking and promoting the benefits of a gluten-free lifestyle and have created line of hand-crafted, regional, gluten-free products. The café is located at 850 Grant Ave. in Novato, California, north of San Francisco.
Some of the things you can find there are:
- Egg & Cheese: fresh eggs, Asiago cheese & basil pesto.
- Egg, Cheese & Bacon: fresh eggs, cheddar cheese & bacon.
- Egg Salad with lemon vinaigrette, greens & Dijon mustard.
Gluten-Free Sandwiches & Paninis
- Albacore Tuna: Italian vinaigrette, albacore tuna, Dijon mustard & greens.
- The Tuna Melt: Vinaigrette, tuna salad, mozzarella, & Dijon mustard.
- Turkey & Brie with dried cranberries, Italian vinaigrette & Dijon mustard.
- PB&J: Smooth peanut butter & strawberry jam.
- Ham & Brie with Italian vinaigrette & Dijon mustard.
- Hummus & Sundried Tomato with Italian vinaigrette & Dijon mustard.
- Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato with sundried tomato mayonnaise & basil pesto.
- Turkey & Avocado with basil pesto & Dijon mustard.
And that single torte offering has grown to many
- Pure Chocolate Torte
- Flour Chylde Sacher Torte
- Linzer Torte
- Rustic Lemon Torte
- Lemon Coconut Torte
- Chocolate Lemon Coconut Torte
- Ginger Macaroon Torte