This past week alone I was able to pick my own blueberries, cherries, raspberries, gooseberries and currents many in a variety of colors or types. There’s a sense of accomplishment in filling that picking bucket. I often enjoy the picking so much though, that I get home and think: ‘Now what do I do with all these berries?’
The obvious choice is sharing with friends and family so that is easily done. I also wash and freeze some for the winter for a splash of color or the taste of summer on a cold cold day. It’s nice, too, to have frozen fruit on hand for smoothies.
Here are some additional ideas and recipes to use up those fresh berries that you picked or bought from the farmer’s market or store. Please share your ideas if you have others that didn’t make this list.
• Fresh berries with ice cream, whipped cream or yogurt
• Fresh berries with granola, cold cereal or oatmeal
• Make your own jam
• Berry sauce to use as a topping for desserts, pancakes, French toast of crepes
• Berry muffins
• Berry parfait with layers of yogurt, gluten-free granola and berries
• Fruit crisp (made with any fruit on hand)
• Popsicles or smoothies
• Summer salads
• Berry-infused water or lemonade
• Muddled berry wine spritzer or cocktail Click to continue reading »